On Mar 7, 2009, at 9:01 PM, Chip Panarchy wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> It is great to hear from the original developer.

I'm not even close to being a developer am just a long time satisfied
user.

> The advantages of including an extra prompt for joining (and
> specifying) the DOMAIN/WORKGROUP name, is that if you/I were to
> 'advertise', it to the Senior Network Administrator, considering you
> are the Junior Network Administrator, and just wanted to show that it
> would work, the easiest and simplest way of doing this convincing
> would be if through prompts, you could connect to the DOMAIN or
> WOKGROUP share, and start the Unattended process.

First off unattended is meant to run... unattended. So the whole
notion of adding prompts is kinda of odd to the ears of the other
users we all are trying to eliminate prompts and have an unattended
install. I actually would be more impressed if a Junior admin told be
to network boot a laptop and have the result be a promptless
installation to the senior admins exact specs.

A couple of things here. I'm getting an idea of the use scenario you
are working with and will now start to propose a scope of the demo
for you.

Get networking booting work, set-up your own smb server or use and
existing smb server that you can authenticate to.

Then work on the unattended.txt to join or not join a domain.

> After you have convinced the more Senior of your colleagues, then
> you'd of course script it to suite the needs of your network, without
> you having to be there to answer the prompts.

What good are the prompts doing?

> That was my main suggestion, the adding of a prompt to the
> 'non-unattended' installation from the FreeDOS (& Linux) prompts.
>
> My other, suggestion was akin to the aforementioned suggestion, except
> for the unattended installation. That is, I would like for it to be
> simpler to script Unattended to suite the needs of the network.

Simpler how?

There is text file and one edits it with the appropriate values. What
network needs specifically.

> That is why, I proposed the following streamlining of the script file,
> and I quote;
>
> 2_______________________
> Streamlined script file;
>
> CHOICE /C:YNX /T:N /X:P,5 Override bootdisk defaults (if unsure,
> say yes)
> # Note: This should make the when typing X, it should go to FreeDOS
> prompt.
>
> Computer_Name=
> Server_Name=
> Share_Name=
> User_Name=
> Password=
> #########################
> # All others under here #
> #########################
>
> As you can see, from the above reference, how easy it would be to
> script Unattended to suite the needs of your Network.
>
> Please add, at the very least, the extra prompt to the
> 'non-unattended' section of your BootCDs.

You can customize your environment all you want and try to pass your
contributions to the community. If you can get it to do what you
want. Let the list know what you have done.

Thanks,

Ben

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chip D. Panarchy
>
> PS: When I mentioned Junior Network Administrator, I wasn't saying
> that I am one, it was merely a hypothetical situation.
>
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Ben Greenfield <b...@cogs.com> wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> Admittedly I haven't worked seriously on unattended since I got it
>> up and
>> running about 5 years ago. It just works I had to move from some
>> form of dos
>> for the boot-loader to linux to accommodate a larger image size
>> but that was
>> years ago.
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:08 PM, Chip Panarchy wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have some ideas, which I am sure that others would benefit from.
>>

>> I'm sure that is true, if you could enumerate your ideas others
>> can respond.
>>

>>> My
>>> ideas should thoroughly streamline the Unattended project. Here are
>>> the comparisons, between what it currently is, and what it would
>>> look
>>> like when streamlined.
>>
>> Streamline isn't really an implementation detail it may be more of
>> a process
>> and ones concept of streamlined could easily be another person's
>> idea of
>> broken.
>>

>>> ####################
>>> ===================
>>> ####################
>>>
>>> 1___________________
>>> Current script file;
>>>
>>> CHOICE /C:YN /T:N,5 Override bootdisk defaults (if unsure, say yes)
>>> if errorlevel 2 goto gotcreds
>>> echo Enter location of install share (default %Z_PATH%):
>>> nset INPUT=$0
>>> if not %INPUT%. == . set Z_PATH=%INPUT%
>>> echo Enter username for mapping install share (default %Z_USER%):
>>> nset INPUT=$0
>>> if not %INPUT%. == . set Z_USER=%INPUT%
>>> echo Enter password for mapping install share (default %Z_PASS%):
>>> nset INPUT=$0
>>> if not %INPUT%. == . set Z_PASS=%INPUT%
>>> set INPUT=
>>>
>>> 2_______________________
>>> Streamlined script file;
>>>
>>> CHOICE /C:YNX /T:N /X:P,5 Override bootdisk defaults (if unsure,
>>> say yes)
>>> # Note: This should make the when typing X, it should go to FreeDOS
>>> prompt.
>>>
>>> Computer_Name=
>>> Server_Name=
>>> Share_Name=
>>> User_Name=
>>> Password=
>>> #########################
>>> # All others under here #
>>> #########################
>>>
>>> 1_______________
>>> Current prompts;
>>>
>>> Override bootdisk defaults (if unsure, say yes) Y/N:
>>> Enter location of install share:
>>> Enter username for mapping install share:
>>> Enter password for mapping install share:
>>>
>>> 2______________________
>>> Fully Featured prompts;
>>>
>>> Override bootdisk defaults (if unsure, say yes) Y/N/X:
>>> Please enter computer name: #
>>> Please enter Server name: #
>>> Please enter Share name: #
>>> Please enter User name: #
>>> Please enter Password: #
>>> Confirm Password: #
>>>
>>> ####################
>>> ====================
>>> ####################
>>>
>>> Please try and streamline your project in the aforementioned way.
>>

>> I don't understand what you are saying or how it may effect my
>> environment
>> if at all. I do networking booting of all my managed clients and
>> never enter
>> any of that info. If you could please elaborate on what is going
>> on that
>> would be great.
>>
>> Things I would like to see is a definition of the problem,
>> description of
>> how the changes proposed fix the problem, and finally other
>> effected areas
>> that may be effected.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ben
>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Chip D. Panarchy

>>> ----------
>>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San
>>> Francisco,
>>> CA
>>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the
>>> Enterprise
>>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source
>>> participation
>>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source
>>> code:
>>> SFAD
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H