Dear list,

I recently found Unattended, and I'm thrilled with the time saving
possibilities it offers.  Now I'm just missing a ticket to Barbados...
almost: I've not had much luck using it in laptops, many of them having
uncommon hardware, for example, this Compaq with an ethernet controller
based on the nVidia MCP67 chipset.  What do you do in such cases?  I'm
thinking of several possibilities:

1. Get an USB Ethernet adapter.  I've never touched one, but I imagine it
should be simple to find one that works, even if I have to do in-shop
testing (wonder if they will let me just put the wrap back if it doesn't
works though... hmph.)  The small investment seems more than worth it, since
it would solve the problem from almost any machine, so I'm doing this
first.  Any experiences?

2.  Stuff my Unattended setup in a standalone DVD.  Even with #1, I'd like
to also have this, for the obvious portability benefits.  I've read on the
list someone already did it, but there were not many details, nor any actual
files.  Switching a network share for an optical drive seems easy enough,
and the only thing that puzzles me is how to master the DVD; can I just add
stuff to the linuxboot ISO image? I guess I'll take a look at ISOLINUX's
docs, though any pointers, or better yet, working solutions, would be more
than welcome. :)

3.  Get wireless working.  The Broadcom wifi in this Compaq does works in
Knoppix.  Tempting, but it wouldn't help in many cases, and it's probably
complex.

4.  Get drivers for the troublesome controller (there are some for the
MCP67, for example).  Again too much work, with even less results.

5.  PXE.  Not sure how it works, but probably wouldn't cut it, if all it
does is download the linux image and boot it.

I'll skip more extravagant possibilities, like USB linking (no serial ports
in these laptops, sadly ^_^).  Any other interesting ways you've found?

Cheers.