On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Ray Jones <rivalst...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Does this laptop or laptop(s) have any PCMCIA adapter slots in them?  If
> so, pick up a nice little 3Com ethernet adapter with an "x-jack" and use
> that for your installation.  Once you are done and have the ability to run
> updates you should be able to find the correct updates for the rest of the
> hardware.

Not all of them have PCMCIA/PC-Card slots, sadly.  The example Compaq
doesn't.  That's why I aimed for an USB adapter, more universal, though most
probably harder to find.  And if the USBs are burnt or some such, I'll use
the DVD install (when it's done) as a backup.  And if the poor thing doesn't
has an optical drive either, I'll pull the HD out and do the owner and me a
favor, and transfuse Linux to it. ^_^

The X-Jack looks super-cute though. :P

But that's a new idea!   Pull the HD out and plug it anywhere, even a
desktop (with an USB or ATA adapter), run the Linux boot there, and when
it's done, plug it back for the first Windows Setup boot.  The driver packs
should help Windows with some rare NICs, and if not, I just would've to
install it by hand, and "resume" Unattended.  Gonna do a test run right
now.  Barbados, here I come!

> Good luck

Danke!