I did successfully get firmware to load using SVN of unattended today.
 I changed the kernel configuration using 'make menuconfig' in the
linux source directory linuxboot/linux-source... directory and changed
the option drivers-->general-->firmware directory to '/lib/firmware/'
instead of 'firmware'.

And I had to use Ubuntu 10.04.1 instead of 10.10.  Ubuntu 10.10 gave
me errors while trying to build.

I hope this will help others.