Do you mind telling us your general isolated area?
Judy, I live in northwest Nebraska.  Your description of your experience with
your third graders reminded me of a conversation I had with my daughter a
couple of days ago.  I'm viewing your scene as half of the split screen with my
daughter on the other half.  I'm contrasting you and your kids as you go
forward growing together in joy, laughing and crying together, and what that
teaches about reading and response and thinking and understanding.  On the
other side, I'm putting my daughter reading her script to "her" assigned third
grade group and taking call from parents who assume she's actually their
child's teacher because their child is on her class list.  When the parents ask
about something, she's forced to say, "I'm sorry.  I don't have that answer.  I
see your child only 75 minutes a day."

It's not a pretty picture is it?