Hello,

I'm an American with a Gaelic surname, part Cherokee, from Anglophone Texas, east of
Austin.

The horror of dealing with many native English speakers is their worship of English
and their intolerance towards other languages.  Linguistic intolerance also affects
American Protestants---there's a weird obsession with the 1611 English Bible
translation.  I'm Protestant, but I read Hebrew, a little Aramaic, French, a little
Latin, etc......

Learning other languages is NOT a value in Anglophone culture, and we export that
value when we export our culture.  In northern France, a Dutchman said to me "you
speak good French, for an American."  I told a Singaporean what else I speak, and he
asked, "Are you American?"

A new book:  Vanishing_voices:__the_extinction_of_the_world's_languages  (Nettle &
Romaine) discusses the effects of Europeanization in much of the world (Africa and
Asia get less attention), language death, and language rebirth (Hawaiian, Fijian,
Hebrew, Gaelic, Welsh........). Worth reading, although very sad----------Elaine Keown

http://www.shopping.altavista.com