$B!!!!$i$s$^(B     $B!z$8$e$&$$$C$A$c$s!z(B
$B!!!_$"$+$M(B
$B!(B: Re: How to tell Japanese from Chinese.

>On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, [ISO-2022-JP] $B$F$s$I$&$j$e$&$8(B wrote:
>
>> My very simple rule of thumb for telling Japanese from Chinese is to
>> look for kana. If I see even one kana, I am looking at Japanese,
>> right? (Warning: A few kanji resemble katakana.) So if I see so much
>> as a hiragana "to", it's Japanese, right? But sometimes there are
>> stretches of many kanji.
>
>Yes, that rule of thumb works for most everyday cases that one'll run
>into.
>
>However, manyougana would be classified as "Chinese" under that rule, as
>well as kanbun.  I'm not sure that one would want to classify the more
>"deviant" (from a classical Chinese POV) and more Japanized forms of
>kanbun as "Chinese".
>
>Have you seen hentaigana before?

You mean like this?
$B$"$C$"$C$"$C(B
or this?
$B$s$s$C$"!<$C(B
Yes, I have.

--that straddles the boundary between
>being kanji used for transliteration/transcription and being kana.  (How
>would such text be encoded in Unicode, if at all?)

Good question. I wonder about some characters. For instance, I wonder about the
MEDIEVAL DIGIT FIVE, which you may have seen, whose glyph resembles DIGIT FOUR's glyph
much more than it does DIGIT FIVE's glyph. How to encode it?

Is there a codepoint for MEDIEVAL AMPERSAND, which looks like modern DIGIT SEVEN, so
much so that in modern books DIGIT SEVEN is used to transcribe it?