From: "Jianping Yang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Oracle is promoting and following the standard. Same as most other
database
> vendors, our database does not fully support supplementary character in
Oracle
> 8i and Oracle 7. But as we see the need to support it, we extend this
support
> in Oracle 9i. So far, I can claim that only Oracle provides fully UTF-8
and
> UTF-16 support for RDBMS, but unfortunately, as we cannot change the
exiting
> utf8 definition from Oracle 8i as backward compatibility, we have to use a
new
> character set name for it as AL32UTF8.

As many have pointed out, THIS will cause more confusion than just about
anything else. Tex is the only one who said anything but he is not the only
one to believe you are seriously undermining the standard with this
decision. It certainly does a lot to hurt interoperability.

Anyway, we are talking in circles at this point, its pretty clear what
Oracle's position is here.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.