John H. Jenkins wrote:

> At 7:07 PM -0700 7/2/01, Richard Cook wrote:
>
>> Evidence? There's ample evidence, starting c. 1000 BC, with
>> [U+5468][U+6613] _Zhou Yi_ (aka _Yi Jing_ aka _I Ching_ aka _The Book of
>> Changes_), an artifact of the Zhou Dynasty ...
>>

> I agree with Richard here.  It's silly to have the trigrams and not the
> hexagrams, although I know why it worked out that way.  Richard, are
> they used much *outside* of the Yi?  If so, I think it's reasonable to
> add them.

Sorry to butt in and I look forward to Richard's response, but yes
the 64 gua (hexagrams) are used in hundreds or thousands of books
that are not the Yi. I could probably find half dozen examples in
my own little library. (But you'll have to wait until this winter
when I get back to organizing it.)

I don't why Edward Cherlin called them  "Daoist". The main
commentary is attributed to Confucius. They occur in all kinds of
books ... medical, astrological, feng-sui (geomancy), Daoist, etc.

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>