From: "Marc Durdin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> I must disagree with this statement.  I know of quite a few changes to
the
> >LCID list, some of which have caused me considerable pain in the past.
> >
> >Any of them in winnt.h?
>
> Try Serbo-Croatian.  Documents created with the old Cyrillic LCID
definitely would not spell-check correctly -- and may not even display
correctly, if the data was encoded using a default code page for that LCID.
Sorry, I don't have any files created with this LCID now.

The system does not create documents, you must be referring to Word, here?

> What if I wanted to use Rhaeto-Romanic; all the older specifications (RTF,
Windows SDK) said I could, but I can't create a program that will use
LANG_RHAETOROMANIC -- it's not there.  So is it official or isn't it?

Hard to say, really. I know of many PRIMARYLANGID values that are "reserved"
but are not currently specified in winnt.h.

> Half of the LCIDs documented on Microsoft's web site don't make it into
winnt.h.  So, does this mean that knowledge base articles should be ignored?
Or that winnt.h (prerelease/winnt.h to be pedantic) is out of date?  What
LCID should I use for Welsh or Lao or Khmer or Gaelic -- should I use the
LCIDs that MS list for Word 2000 -- or are they not official?  If I create a
Word 2000 document using one of those LCIDs, will I ever be able to load it
in another program?  Will these LCIDs ever make it into winnt.h?

Not sure. But I would trust Word 2000 the product before I would trust a
random KB article or help topic (all things considered). Call it a
developer's bias? :-)

> winnt.h is not a specification of a standard: it's a C header file.
winnt.h does not correspond with other information on Microsoft's web site.
To my way of thinking, this inconsistency is a real problem.

Well, call it developer's bias again, but that *is* documentation to me. The
only kind you can ever really trust. :-)

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/