Lars,
It's a good point. Especially since the mapping from one script to
another might follow a specific algorithm that a computer can follow,
but the user will type in their estimate of the pronounciation which
will depend strongly on their dialect and their ear for the sounds used
in the search phrase.

I used to call cross-country (USA) to speak with my wife Gail and the
midwestern operator never understood what I was asking for.
I would ask for Gail and they would say "You want to speak to a gal, any
gal?" And only when I said "gay-yul" did they get it.

So the search phrase I type in to a computer might not come close to the
transliteration used.
For example, some Japanese transliterations might mix up d, r, and l
sounds.

Perhaps some kind of universal soundex is needed...
tex

Lars Kristan wrote:

> I was about to complain about the transliteration 'Mikhail Gorbachev', but
> then I saw that this was discussed before (I am new to the list) and that it
> is how English does the transliteration of ë.
>
> Still... What I put here is U+00EB (Latin small letter E with diaresis)
> which looks like U+0451 (Cyrillic small letter Io). One wonders, was the
> English transliteration ë to e 'defined' for U00EB and should be ë to o (or
> yo) for U0451?
>
> Anyway, after I browsed quickly through some previous postings, I realized
> that transliteration is far from simple. But after playing with Tex's sample
> for a day or two (and doing related searches on the web) I also realized
> that some form of transliteration will need to be provided to implement
> loose searching. Unicode will encourage more and more people to write names
> (people, places, etc) 'correctly'. Without transliteration, searching will
> become very unreliable - to say the least...
>
> My two cents.
>
> Regards to all,
>
> Lars

For a compelling demonstration for Unicode:
http://www.geocities.com/i18nguy/unicode-example.html