* Lars Marius Garshol

| Just for the record: for Opera 6.0 it makes no difference how you
| encode the characters. They can be NCRs, encoded in UTF-8, or
| encoded in UTF-16.

* James Kass

| It makes no difference, the characters don't display in Opera 6.0
| either as NCRs or UTF-8.

They display on my machine. I've had problems getting them to display
on some other machines, even Windows 2000 machines, and I am not sure
what it is that makes the OS display these characters on some
machines, and not others.

| Since Lars Marius Garshol had written earlier this year about
| non-BMP support in Opera 6.0, I've tried unsuccessfully to make it
| happen here.

Could you let me know (off-list) what Windows version you are running,
whether you've enabled surrogate display in the registory, and what
fonts with support for non-BMP characters you've installed? That would
be helpful in working out what, exactly, it is that needs to be
enabled for this to work.

| Opera 6.0 is an attractive product which works well.  It doesn't
| seem to display non-BMP characters, though.  Is there a method for
| enabling non-BMP characters in Opera 6.0?

No. Opera doesn't do anything special with these characters. Opera
just passes them to the OS, so it's up to the OS whether it will
display them or not. So most likely the reason why some systems
display this and others don't is that there are differences in
installed components/fonts and registry settings.

| Also, what about shaping requirements for complex scripts such as
| Indic and Arabic?

Same story there. Shaping is left to the OS, so if you have the
correct pieces of software plus fonts it will work. You don't need to
do anything special in Opera to get it to display.

--Lars M.