> The very fact that most of them can be reduced to ASCII and people still
> find the resulting text useful and accurate to the original is a sign
> that the important characters in English are in ASCII. And all the
> standard transliterations - em-dashes -> --, c-cedilia -> c, e-acute,
> e-grave -> e, o-umlaut -> o, shaped quotes -> " and ' - are from
> characters in Windows-1252.

Well, wouldn't you expect an American standard to properly encode the
important characters for English? I would. Only ISO has the luxury of
encoding "Western Europe languages" without catering properly to French and
some Nordic language (sorry, forgot which; as for French, I am referring to
the lack of oe ligature in iso-8859-1).

YA