>On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:49:27AM -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
>>
>>  Locale systems that force you to pick one immutable set of conventions
>>  for a given country are broken in general.  I remember having to tell
>>  MS-DOS that I was in South Africa or someplace, just to get my directory
>>  listing the way I wanted it.  *nix systems that start with "fr_FR" and
>>  then allow you to define "fr_FR-EURO" or something really aren't much
>>  better; what if I want to deviate from the pre-defined locale in four or
>  > five ways instead of just one?

Apple's International System Preferences allow you to configure most
of the locale features, such as numeric date formatting, currency,
and so on. Everything isn't user configurable (you can't change the
month names into Esperanto for instance) but it's a good start.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com