> However, it might make sense to make an implementation guideline
> that would constrain any such mechanism to double diacritics and
> suggest that people move to generic markup mechanisms if they
> need more. Thus:
>
> X CGJ X CGJ combining-breve
>
> But not:
>
> X CGJ X CGJ X CGJ combining-breve
>
> etc.

http://home6.swipnet.se/~w-61277/rattsatt/runlitt.pdf

describes a font that has glyphs for combining inverted breve
glyphs that streach over 2-6 letters... (the letters underneath
the sample glyphs are just examples to show the width; the font
also has different glyphs for different vertical positions
instead of using a calculated position).  I don't know how
commonly they are used, but apparently they are used...
(The font is intended for transliterated, into Latin script,
Runic texts where 'bindrunor' (Runic ligatures) are marked.)

                /Kent K