> I am Gis/Website developer my query is
>
> I have a data in devanagri true type font i want to convert
> this data into mangal unicode.
>
> I want to know whether any converter is available for
> converting devanagari to mangal unicode.
This is, excuse the pun, a bit of a mangled question. Mangal is Microsoft's Hindi UI font; it is an OpenType font that uses glyph substitution and positioning to correctly display the Devanagari script on top of a standard Unicode text string. In order to convert any Devanagari font to be rendered in the same way, two steps are necessary:

1. Make sure that the font has a Unicode cmap table and that the base forms of Devanagari characters are encoded in it in accordance with the Unicode standard.

2. Use Microsoft's free VOLT tool to add OpenType Layout tables for glyph substitution and positioning.

There is no automated way to do such a conversion, although various sub-stages could be automated within particular tools (e.g. defining Unicode cmap mappings from glyph names in FontLab). The nature of the OpenType Layout lookups required will depend on the glyph repertoire of the individual font.

See http://www.microsoft.com/typography/specs/default.htm for more information about making OpenType fonts for Devanagari and other scripts.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A book is a visitor whose visits may be rare,
or frequent, or so continual that it haunts you
like your shadow and becomes a part of you.
- al-Jahiz, The Book of Animals