Hi, I was looking for a good book on Hebrew that describes the placement of
points and such and noticed the reference to Harrison. The associated text
below is along the lines of what I am looking for. However, the reviews at
Amazon are not very good for this title.

I would be interested in suggestions for a good book along these lines.
Reply to me privately, if there is interest I will repost the suggestions in a
single message back to the list.
tex

Chris Jacobs wrote:
"When holem precedes א,  the point is placed on the
upper right of the letter, as with יֹאמַר (yō’mǎr).
When it follows the א, the point is placed on the
upper left, as in אֹבֵד (’ōbhēdh). When holem precedes
שׁ, the points coincide, as with מֹשֶׁל (mōšěl).
When holem follows שׂ, the points again coincide as
with שֹׂטֵן (sōṭēn). The letter שֹׁ will be "šō" to
commence a syllabe, e.g., שֹׁמַע (šōmǎ‘), and "ōs" in
other places."

[ R.K. Harrison, Teach Yourself Biblical Hebrew ]

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

XenCraft                            http://www.XenCraft.com
Making e-Business Work Around the World