[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 03/27/2003 09:38:15 AM:

> Having said that, one would expect a good deal of research to be done
> before approaching these. How many languages were they used for? What
> sounds do they represent? How do modern scholars producing critical
> editions present them? (If they use digit 4, I would consider that to
> be a fault in the character set or font, and, in my opinion, a Latin
> letter should be added, because the quatrillo is not a quatro.) Do
> they appear in casing pairs? On the face of it tz looks like a
> ligature of t and z.

I can understand the necessity of these questions except for the first two.
Why would it be needed for encoding to know just what languages / phonemes
these pertained to? Of course, if this info is available, it's nice to have
it.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485