From: "Kenneth Whistler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> It is perfectly reasonable, as I see it, to consider the
> <SPACE> in a <SPACE, NSM> sequence to be:
>   a. significant
>   b. part of the characters in a document that are not markup
>      (at least in the cases we are talking about, since the
>      problem is not about defining Nmtokens for markup in
>      Biblical Hebrew, but rather the representation of the
>      Biblical Hebrew document content itself)
>
> So I *still* don't see the problem you are on about, and even
> if there was one, the xml:space attribute could be used to
> require preservation of a particular space.

May be you are forgetting that in XML and HTML, attributes
(including "spacial attributes like "xml:space" can have default
values, and in fact they have such values set in DTD or
schemas to by normative XML applications like XHTML.
Authors are not supposed to modify normative schemas or DTDs,
and so use elements with their default attributes. This is the case
of XHTML as an application of XML, and HTML as an
application of SGML (neither HTML or SGML parsers will
interpret the xml:space attribute, and XML parsers will handle it
only if they are validating documents with their DTD or schema)