Peter Kirk scripsit:

> These processes cannot
> simply take a space as a space and process it as such. Every time they
> come across a space (which is very often!) they have to test whether it
> is followed by a combining character, and if it is they have to treat
> that space specially.

This must be done for all other base characters as well.

> This has created a serious problem for
> implementers, which is why they have produced non-conforming
> implementations - and we are not talking about small companies which
> have rushed into the market recently, we are talking about Microsoft,
> among others, which has been sponsoring Unicode for the start, I
> understand.

You don't have (nor do I) the vaguest idea why Microsoft produced
this particular nonconforming implementation, or whether they
consider it a bug or not.

> Surely the UTC should not create difficulties for
> implementers and then just shout at them for getting things wrong. The
> UTC should try to produce a standard which is workable without
> unnecessary complications.

This is sheer conjecture.

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www.reutershealth.com
[P]olice in many lands are not complaining that local arrestees are insisting