At 12:00 -0500 2003-12-03, Language Analysis Systems, Inc. Unicode list reader wrote:
> In short, in any given locale, one should get the symbols of that locale, out of the box. (And in my locale, that should include math and > music symbols).

I question this.

On the one hand, I agree with you. As a musician, it's always bugged me that I can't say "Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Major" without either spelling out "-Flat" or using a lowercase b as a kludge (at least I can use the pound sign to say "Gershwin's Prelude No. 2 in C# Minor").

OS X ships all those in the Apple Symbols font, and they are also in a number of the Japanese and Korean fonts which ship with the OS.
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com