Hi Mark, All,

> I also agree, but I point out that the sufficiently perverse could come
> up with some pretty tough examples.  Applying color is a pretty benign
> style, but what if I wanted a boldface circumflex on a normal letter?
> Or even more obnoxious, a 10-point circumflex on a an 8-point letter?
> These could be tricky to compute.

Please have a look at the examples. This isn't a parallel to
accents. The Tamil vowels and consonants in questions are
clearly distinct side by side. They could have been styled using
a mechanical typewriter by double-striking, underlining or
switching to the second color. Individually.

> if you ask the system to do bizarre things, it's your own fault (while
> applying color is not quite so bizarre).

Emphasizing a single letter isn't bizarre. It is often used in educational
material.

Please consider the analogy of 'th' being considered a unbreakable
conjunct in English and any attempts to style only the 't' or
only the 'h' failing with differing results.

Regards,
Peter Jacobi