On Behalf
> Of Peter Jacobi

> As it was possible to style individual characters in legacy encodings
> (heck, it was possible using a mechanical Tamil typewriter!), what is
> be done in migration to Unicode?

There is nothing about encoding of Tamil in Unicode that prevents
styling of individual characters. This is not a Unicode problem, as (at
least some) others have said.

> So, I'm still wondering whether Unicode and HTML4 will consider
> valid and it is the task of the user agent to make the best out of it.

There is nothing in Unicode that says this is invalid. Unicode's scope
is plain text; it has nothing to say about HTML.

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division