Hello Peter,

At 13:25 03/12/07 +0100, Peter Jacobi wrote:
Dear Doug, All,

> BTW, your "Unicode test page" is marked:
>  content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

This is of course redundant as this is the HTTP default.

Well, the HTTP spec unfortunately still says so, but the HTML spec (and we are dealing with HTML here) disagrees, and so does practice (if you look farther than just Western Europe).

The heading 'Unicode' means the logical content, not the
encoding. The Tamil content is given as hex NCRs.

That's perfectly okay, of course.

> while your TSCII test page is marked "x-user-defined".

As the legacy Tamil charsets are not IANA registered, Tamil
users typically have a TSCII font set up for the display
of "x-user-defined"pages.

Why don't you do that, or get your Tamil contacts to do it? It needs a bit of insistence (repeated checking/reminders to the mailing list) and some patience, but otherwise is quite easy, and would help a lot. And you have the experience to describe how this relates to Unicode.

Regards, Martin.