Hello,

2003-12-17T11:06:32Z Curtis Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> on 2003-12-16 15:27 Peter Kirk wrote:

>> I'm no expert on this...

> I am. :-)

>> but I thought that species could be transferred
>> from genus to genus as knowledge advances.

> As John pointed out, the epithet stays the same.

>> And presumably obvious
>> spelling mistakes are corrected (contrast "FHTORA" in U+1D0C5), or are
>> you saying that if the first publication had "Brontosuarus" as a typo
>> this error would remain for ever?

> There are errors and then there are errors. Some are correctable, some
> are not, and botanists and zoologists have different rules about this.
> An example that's not entirely OT: There was a Russian physician with
> the last name Эшшолц - a "cyrillicization" of his German family name

He was Эшшольц actually. You forgot the "soft sign".

(I'm not sure everyone will see the name - the editor replaced the
encoding with windows-1251, and there's no UTF-8 support).

Regards,
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/