At 15:58 -0800 2004-03-18, Peter Kirk wrote:
On 18/03/2004 10:30, Michael Everson wrote:

You mistake orthography and glyph choice with character identity. "Dotless i" as a *character* is used only in Turkic languages, has nothing to do with Irish, and never has.

May I pick a nit here? Dotless i is used in the official orthography of at least one non-Turkic language, that of Udi, a north-east Caucasian minority language of Azerbaijan; I think it is also in the Latin script orthography of Lezgi, the language of a much larger minority group.

And as such its use areally is appropriate.

The suggestion that we have a problem in Irish at all was incorrect in the first instance, so all of this discussion is moot.
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com