> > The letter "í" is the long form of "i". It is encoded
> > 0069 0301 (or its equivalent 00E9). It would also
> > be a spelling error to encode "í" with 0131.
> >
> > Those are the facts. It is not a matter for dispute.
>
> I'm sorry. I do not acknowledge the ISO's authority to dictate "spelling"
> norms.
> Like all linguistic behavior, correct spelling is a matter of usage.

Indeed. If the Irish alphabet had been influenced by the distinction that
exists
between dotted and dotless i that exists in Turkic languages then you would
have a point (and in certain circumstances so would the Irish i).

Whether an Irish person writes an i without a dot, an English person writes it
with a dot, or a 12 year old girl penning a valentine card writes it with a
heart it is still the letter i.

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>