C J Fynn wrote:

If someone wants this,  isn't it possible to put a specific lookup in the font
so that any dependant vowel following a space character renders as a spacing
(stand-alone) dependant vowel? Surely a specific lookup should overide it being
displayed on a dotted circle by default.

Not necessarily. Applications or layout engines may insert the dotted circle character on the fly during rendering in what they consider invalid sequences. Clearly space+mark is not an invalid sequence according to Unicode, but there may still be some apps that handle this incorrectly. Also, space characters have layout behaviours that do not always make them an ideal base for combining marks, e.g. being swallowed at the end of lines.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often play against man, God says, but it is he who wants
  to lose, the idiot, and it is I who want him to win.
And I succeed sometimes
In making him win.
             - Charles Peguy