On 01/04/2004 22:55, Doug Ewell wrote:

...And maybe it's just my lack of creative thinking, but I certainly can't imagine a proportional font on a ZX80 or ZX81 -- not on that blocky 24-line screen!

Stretching of spaces does not depend on having a proportional font. On modern systems spaces are stretched in justified text even if the font is fixed space - try Courier New on Windows. The ZX8* probably could not even do that, as I guess characters had to be placed in a grid. But I remember from even before those days (but on a mainframe) a program which would justify printed text in a grid, by a real line printer, by replacing single spaces by double or triple as necessary. A fixed width space would presumably resist this kind of stretching by multiplication, as well as the neater incremental stretching of more sophisticated systems.

-Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
TS1000 user, 1983-1986