> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On
> Behalf Of John Hudson

> > No Georgian can read Nuskhuri without a key. I maintain that no
Hebrew
> > reader can read Phoenician without a key. I maintain that it is
> > completely unacceptable to represent Yiddish text in a Phoenician
font
> > and have anyone recognize it at all.
>
> But no one is going to do that. No one is talking about doing that.
This
> is a complete
> irrelevancy.

Michael's argument here is based on the premise that if the communities
that use script A cannot readily interpret text in their language when
written with a written variety (and distinct-script candidate) B, then B
is distinct from A. It *is*, IMO, a valid consideration, but it alone
isn't a sufficient criterion. Note, for instance, that one could apply
that argument to try to justify a Latin cipher.

Peter Constable