Peter Constable wrote:
> the Old Latin doesn't have the accents, but if you
> used the 23
> uni-cameral characters for Vietnamese text, then surely a Vietnamese
> speaker would recognize it as caseless Vietnamese with the accents
> stripped off.

> So, while Michael's argument was flawed in the way he expressed it, I
> think your counter-argument also is flawed.

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's flawed.  Sure, recognizability makes it
non-equivalent to the Phoenician-Hebrew case, but it still demonstrates that
a subset-superset relationship between purported scripts A and B does not
make them distinct.

Recognizability is a much better argument, IMHO, but then there's
Sütterlin...  And cyphers, as you mention in another message.

--
François