At 10:34 -0700 2004-04-29, Peter Kirk wrote:

But what answer do you have to my point, made in more detail elsewhere, that it will cause total confusion, and defeat the purposes of Unicode, if some people use the new characters and others don't?

Frankly I'd say it's an unreasonable suggestion on your part. NO ONE is forced to use Sinhala, Brahmi, Myanmar, or Devanagari script to represent Buddhist texts in Pali. Scholars, and the Pali Text Society, happily ignore these scripts and use Latin. Similarly, NO ONE will be forced to use Phoenician script to represent early Phoenician language if they find it hard to read and prefer to represent it in Hebrew script, or in Latin.
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com