Michael Everson wrote:

At 19:10 -0700 2004-04-29, John Hudson wrote:

Michael, Peter is not talking about the Phoenician language being represented in the Hebrew script, he is talking about the common practice of semiticists to *encode* the Phoenician script using Hebrew codepoints. The representation of the text is in Phoenician glyphs, not Hebrew, but these glyphs are treated as typeface variants of Hebrew.

I have plenty of fonts where the Phoenician glyphs are treated as typeface variants of Latin.

But presumably these are not used to write English text or, for that matter, Latin. The issue at question is the encoding of *Hebrew* text as written in Phoenician-style letters.

This isn't a show-stopper, but I've asked several times now how you and others think semiticists should encode such text: with Hebrew characters corresponding to the language of the text, or with 'Phoenician' characters corresponding to the look of the text?

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often play against man, God says, but it is he who wants
  to lose, the idiot, and it is I who want him to win.
And I succeed sometimes
In making him win.
             - Charles Peguy