Title: FW: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

        John notified me that he intended to CC the list, so here it is:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cowan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 8:32 AM
To: Mike Ayers
Subject: Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards
latin- >arabic

Mike Ayers scripsit:

>       Now, in a last desperate hope to address the issue I raised: does
> the practice of stripping diacritics have a name?

The Unicode people are probably going to standardize on calling it
"diacritic folding", by analogy to the term "case folding".

I have provided them with a table that does diacritic folding for the
Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, and Hebrew scripts; it does not, however, remove
combining diacritics (which is easy to do on your own).

--
There are three kinds of people in the world:   John Cowan
those who can count,                            http://www.reutershealth.com