Title: RE: Combining across markup? (Was: RE: sign for anti-neutrino - gree k nu with diacritical line aboveworkaround ?)

        I didn't propose ZWNJ.  In fact, I didn't mention it, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

> expect any kind of break or control character to have this
> effect by default. The correct way to do this is probably to
> insert SPACE or NBSP, or the proposed INVISIBLE CHARACTER.

        ...except that I don't want a space in there, nor can I use a proposed character.

> And then of course there is the spacing clone of the macron, U+00AF.

        Possible.  Do such clones exist for all combiners?

> I wouldn't consider this a violation of layering. If layer A
> has to split a string at a particular place because of its
> own functions, that does not imply a break at layer B.

        ...if layer A is on top of layer B, then a break in layer A is, by definition, a break in layer B.  Could I be using the wrong term again?

> And it
> is certainly a legitimate user requirement for a combining
> mark to be in a different colour from its base character.

        Has this been accepted by Unicode as a requirement?  If so, I'll just run screaming away from the issue.

> What is the best way to represent that is debatable, but some
> kind of markup at this point should not be ruled out in principle.

        Unicode has nothing to say about markup other than relegating certain behaviors to it.  I had thought that coloring fonts was one of those behaviors.

> In any case markup cannot be allowed to break all intelligent
> font features. Should kerning be broken because a particular
> letter is in a different colour or underlined?

        Underlining (and bold, and italic, etc.) breaks kerning - "break" here meaning "causes a discontinuity in", not "causes to not work", because it forces a font switch, or, in the case of underlining, a change in the rendering behavior of the font in use.  Color change is the only markup that I can think of for which it would be possible to preserve kerning across markup based change, and I assert that "people who change font colors midword" and "people who care about kerning" are two sets which do not intersect.

/|/|ike