Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

> But does that mean that this kind
> of text is to be ruled forever outside the scope of Unicode. I'm not
> saying it should be plain text. But Unicode should be able to support
> markup schemes which do allow such things.

The plain-text requirement still applies.  I can imagine wanting to use
bold and italics and different fonts and sizes in the same document; in
fact, I just did so yesterday.  But none of these features are plain
text, and so I did not expect them to be handled within Unicode.

The suggestion to add a "mark-color" capability to CSS might handle a
majority of the realistic situations where color is really understood to
be part of the textual content.  Peter's two combining marks, a black
one in the actual manuscript and a red one added by the editor, sounds
less like a problem that Unicode or W3C need to worry about.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/