Quoting Philipp Reichmuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Jon Hanna schrieb:
> > The W3C Character Model does not, or will not since it's not yet a
> > Recommendation, allow text nodes or attribute values to begin with
> defective
> > combining character sequences.
>
> What am I supposed do when I need a black a with a red macron?  Or for a
> less obscure example, an Arabic text with the letters correctly ligated,
> in black, and the vowel marks in another colour, such as in practically
> *any* printed edition of the Koran?

The former sounds more like drawing than writing, and is something SVG will
handle easily. The latter sounds like text the colour of which is black with
another colour for the vowel marks rather than alternating pieces of text in
different colours. Indeed the latter demonstrates well that using separate
markup for coloured diacritics would be neither an efficient task, nor one that
makes any sense with semantic markup, for a real-world use case.

Contra to your examples, what is a parser meant to do when it encounters the
greater-than symbol indicating the end of an element's tag followed by a
combining solidus, meaning that the two characters together are canonically
equivalent to the not greater-than symbol?

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>