Title: RE: Combining across markup? (Was: RE: sign for anti-neutrino - g ree k nu with diacritical line aboveworkaround ?)

        Use a picture, just as you would for a letter "i" with a smiley face for a dot, or any other aberrant characters.

>  Or for a less obscure example, an Arabic text with
> the letters correctly ligated, in black, and the vowel marks
> in another colour, such as in practically
> *any* printed edition of the Koran?

        Wouldn't the better idea here be to use a font which had the vowels in a different color?  This would make management of the source much easier, I think, although that would be a side issue.  Are there situations where this would not work?

        Thanks,

/|/|ike