>       Clarification, please.  Does this mean that the code:

> style='font-family:Cardo'>&#x304;</span>
>
>       will be considered illegal due to the freestanding &#x304; ?

Well leaving out the quotes around tokens is old-fashioned anyway, and I don't
know if it will apply to HTML4.01 and earlier.

As for modern markup, consider if instead of &#x304; you had &#x338;
By the rules of XML that is treated as if the character U+0338 was there rather
than the escape sequence.
By the rules of Unicode the sequence U+003E, U+0338 is treated the same as the
character U+226F.
By the rules of XML replacing >&#x338; with U+226F would mean the document was
no longer well-formed.

So even without an explicit spec saying otherwise the above would be
problematic.

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>