Doug Ewell wrote:

Beyond that, you might want to specify a font family using CSS (doesn't
have to be in a separate CSS file, either) to improve the odds that the
reader will see Hebrew instead of hollow boxes, but this is optional.

While we are on the (off) topic of HTML, browsers etc. ....

I've noticed, that with Windows and IE, - when going to a page with characters for a script for which fonts are not installed my system, IE will sometimes ask whether or not I want to download & install fonts for that script from Microsoft's web site.
This only happens in some cases - even where the same script is involved. I've looked the source of some of these pages but I've never been able to identify just what what triggers this. Does anyone know?

- Chris