Antoine Leca scripsit:

> Sorry, no: there is no requirement to clear it.
> You are assuming something about the way data are handled. When you handle
> ASCII data using octets, you can perfectly, and conformantly, keep some
> other "data" (being parity or whatever) inside the 8th bit; so with even
> parity AT SIGN will be managed as 192, without any kind of problem (for
> you).

Indeed, the DEC PDP-8 stored ASCII data with the high bit always set, for
compatibility with the way in which ASR-33 Teletypes generated ASCII.
So I grew up thinking of 'A' as 301 (octal).  I believe that PR1ME
computers did this too.

--
But you, Wormtongue, you have done what you could for your true master.  Some
reward you have earned at least.  Yet Saruman is apt to overlook his bargains.