On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:10:37 +0200, "Cristian Secarã" wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:51:42 -0800, Peter Constable wrote:
>
> > Microsoft has never used the label 'OpenFont' for this or any of the
> > fonts that ship with their products.
>
> However, the .ttf fonts that ship with their products are showing an OT
> icon. I don't know how it's done technically.

Because Arial Unicode MS includes OpenType tables, and is thus technically an
OpenType font.

OpenType is a font technology, and does not imply that any such font is free and
open source -- since when did "open" ever mean "free" anyway ?

The original term mentioned in this thread, "OpenFont" does not exist (other
than as a programming method in certain APIs), and so, as Peter rightly pointed
out, OpenFont does not apply to Arial Unicode MS or any Microsoft font or any
font that I know of.

Andrew