Hi folks,

For languages whose alphabets aren't too far apart (I'm thinking mostly of the set of Latin-derived alphabets), what is a good place for finding out how letter replacements for letters that are missing in a different country/locale are done?

For example, how will an Icelander normally write his name on a form in a foreign country that is lacking ð and þ?

I know of standards for transcribing foreign alphabets (by /target/ locale – Are they relevant here? If so, which?), but there must also be popular practices (by /source/ locale) that have developed among each locale's residents for traveling.

Are there comprehensive resources? If not, are efforts underway?

Stephan