Nicely put.

A./

On 6/3/2014 12:09 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
On 2014/06/03 07:08, Asmus Freytag wrote:
On 6/2/2014 2:53 PM, Markus Scherer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM, David Starner <prosfil...@gmail.com
<mailto:prosfil...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I would especially discourage any web browser from handling
    these; they're noncharacters used for unknown purposes that are
    undisplayable and if used carelessly for their stated purpose, can
    probably trigger serious bugs in some lamebrained utility.

I don't expect "handling these" in web browsers and lamebrained
utilities. I expect "treat like unassigned code points".

Expecting them to be treated like unassigned code points shows that their use is a bad idea: Since when does the Unicode Consortium use unassigned code points (and the like) in plain sight?

I can't shake the suspicion that Corrigendum #9 is not actually solving
a general problem, ...

I have to fully agree with Asmus, Richard, Shawn and others that the use of non-characters in CLDR is a very bad and dangerous example.

However convenient the misuse of some of these codepoints in CLDR may be, it sets a very bad example for everybody else. Unicode itself should not just be twice as careful with the use of its own codepoints, but 10 times as careful.

I'd strongly suggest that completely independent of when and how Corrigendum #9 gets tweaked or fixed, a quick and firm plan gets worked out for how to get rid of these codepoints in CLDR data. The sooner, the better.

Regards,   Martin.