On 1 Oct 2006, at 03:39, Sudarshan Gaikaiwari wrote:
> I am interested in finding how many people use Unicon in production.
> Let us loosely define production as any piece of code that you are
> emotionally attached to ;-).

Well I have a couple of live CGI scripts on my personal website,
although I never got around to finishing them off. Too many other
pressing things...

> If you are using Unicon why have you not switched to a "more
> popular" language ?
> What are the features that you would want Unicon to borrow from the
> more popular languages?

I'd really like the object model to be a bit more like that of Ruby,
which is incredibly flexible. I do a lot of work in Ruby because it's
fun and growing in commercial acceptance, it's also the closest I've
come to the buzz when I first learnt Icon (way back in 1989 - how
little most of the software world has progressed since then).

Threading would also be nice. I even looked into adding this myself a
few years back but I really hate messing in the Icon internals. That
of course brings me to the biggest change - a new runtime
implementation that was easier to hack around with. Of course that's
a serious project to contemplate...

> I am hoping that this conversation might lead us to the real
> strengths of Unicon as well as the future directions this language
> should take.
>
> In my personel experience I worked on the Unicon compiler while at
> NMSU. However I was never really able to pick up Unicon or really
> gork goal directed evaluation. I guess one of the reasons is I have
> only been exposed to pseudo C languages (C, C++, C#, Java).

I think it's hard for anyone with preconceptions about software
design to pick up Icon/Unicon which might explain why so many of the
people who show an interest in it are either language designers or
people with non-computing backgrounds.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
--