On 8 Mar 2007, at 17:29, Kent Palmer wrote:
> I would like to see some marriage between Ruby and Unicon.
>
> The idea of making Unicon a DSL on top of Ruby would be very
> appealing to me. But I don't know what that would do for performance.
>
> Both Icon and Ruby have C interfaces. Perhaps there is some way to
> marry them via their interfaces. Is that possible?

Well I must admit to being a bit of a Rubyista these days, mainly
thanks to the elegant syntax and the ease of meta-programming. It's
not a better language than Un/icon, and where string handling is
concerned I find Regular Expressions the most infuriating alternative
to a decent scanning environment, but as mainstream languages go it's
by far the most enjoyable to work with. It's also a dream for network
coding or anything where native bindings are useful. To my way of
thinking it's Lisp for those of us who like syntax ;)

A couple of times I've considered the possibility of an Iconish DSL
for Ruby or a Ruby translator for the Unicon runtime, but these are
both substantial projects. There are implementations of generators
and scanning environments for Ruby but they don't fit as well as they
do in Icon, but more frustrating is the lack of goal direction.
That's what hooked me on Icon back in the v5 days, and the addition
of this has been discussed several times in the Ruby community but
it's a hard feature to sell to people who've never used it.

It's disappointing that the two great language loves of my life are
basically incompatible at this point in time :(

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----