On 6 Oct 2006, at 10:09, Clint Jeffery wrote:
> I myself saw the light when I took a comparative languages course
> and wrote
> a mini LISP interpreter in Icon in less than a week.  Far far
> easier than
> doing it in a C-like language.  You have no idea.

I used Icon to rewrite the examples from "Programming Languages: An
Interpreter-Based Approach" by Samuel N. Kamin. At the time I was
also playing with Pop-11 (much to my tutor's irritation - none of
this was part of my undergrad physics curriculum...) and I couldn't
get over how easy it is to write parsers with Icon's scanning and
goal direction features. It's made me very dismissive of Lisp ever
since lol

> You already know about some production uses of Unicon, which
> include NLM's
> SSEUS database peer review management system, and the collaborative
> virtual
> environment.  The former might just be saving the government over
> $1 million
> per year in maintenance over the Visual Basic system that it
> replaced, and
> the latter is still under construction but hopefully will turn out
> to be a
> Killer App for Unicon.  In any case it has stretched the Icon
> family of
> languages into new territory, which is Fun.

I'm interested that you've replaced a VB system with an Unicon one as
I spent years writing VB5 code that relied heavily on several Icon-
like idioms - especially success/failure and generators. A lot of the
work I was doing then involved VB in the embedded avionics space and
for system-level coding, and those idioms made delivering reliable
code much easier than with the third-party certified C libraries most
people relied upon. I just wish I could have been working in Icon/
Unicon in the first place...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
--