Kyle Cassidy wrote:

We just had a guy stop by the front door claiming he'd locked his keys in his car on 36th street (along with his wallet) and needed my help for something abstract. He said he'd just moved up here to live in 217 with his grandparents (the Hendersons, who may or may not live in 217) to attend Penn. When he said this, I realized I'd met him about a year ago when he came to my door with the exact same story and wanted $20 to pay the locksmith. When I told him he'd stopped by already with the same story, he said all he wanted was to call the locksmith to make sure they'd be at his car. I asked what they're number was (the locksmith) he gave me a bogus number (someone's home answering machine), when I said it was a home machine he said "Oh, they must be at my car" and took off.

I'm not sure if he's just hoping to get $20 from someone or, as Christy suspected, he was casing the place.

Thought I should mention this in case anybody else runs into him.

He looks to be mid to late 20's, about five five, white, very closely cropped dark hair, slight gap between his front teeth. He told me his name was Lee.

Christy says she believes she's also met him when she lived on 20th street telling the same story.

Has anybody else run into this guy?

kc

Probably it was two years ago that a young guy came to my door on a FREEZING cold day, wearing no hat and no gloves and obviously underdressed for the weather, saying that he'd been sent to me by my neighbor across the street, that he'd just driven all the way from his home in the South, that he'd come to stay with his friend or relative Xxxx who also lived on my street but was not at home.  It was vacation time, but he was going to be a student at Penn in the Spring semester.   He was white, I can't remember what color his hair was-----maybe reddish-brown and short.   He'd been told by a neighbor's son that I was a good person, that I would surely help him.   Curiously, the story was the same----wallet and keys locked in car, and he needed the money for a locksmith.   I help every dog and cat that comes my way, but I'd learned to be wary of people.   I'll give anyone food, but not money.   I was so appalled that someone was obviously in need of warm clothes, and hoped he had some of those in the alleged car.    I told him I would meet him at his car (36th and Sansom!!!)  and when the locksmith arrived, I would give the locksmith the $20, and he could reimburse me right away, when the car was opened and the wallet retrieved.   I felt the young man might be lying, but his face was so pink and his hands were red with the cold that I felt really bad for him.   I've locked my keys in my car, I've been a stranger in another city, so it was hard to turn him away entirely.    I hurried to meet him, didn't take warm enough gloves for myself and waited and waited, and he never showed up.   I went to the office of my church a block away and  called the nearest locksmith, who said no one had called in about a car at that location, and furthermore that no locksmith would do the job for less than $50.   I was disappointed, felt a little hurt that someone would put me to such trouble, but all it cost was a couple hours and 2 quarters for the parking meter.   Later, when I told my neighbor that her son had sent the guy to me, she said she'd actually given the same person $20 a couple months before!

                                                Harden  your hearts, everybody!

                                                        Barbara