Title: Re: [UC] Iron Security Bars
I would love to go the dog route but my allergies say otherwise. Maybe someday that will change.

Thanks!

Naomi

on 1/13/05 11:43 AM, Jon Moore at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Just get a dog and encourage him or her to bark at (note: not attack)
intruders. You get a lovable companion without having to detract from your
exterior aesthetic or feeling like a prisoner in your own house.

Dogs naturally bark at "intruders" to alert the alpha dog (i.e. you) to
"come check this out." When my dogs bark, I make a point of getting up to
look at whatever they are barking at. Regardless of whether it's anything
to worry about or not (usually not -- mail carrier putting things through
the mail slot is a big one), I make a point of praising them for letting me
know about it. I've never had a problem with continuous barking for no
reason, because they settle down once I go look, satisfied they've done
their job.

As a result, I never wonder about noises in the house at night if the dogs
aren't worked up about them.

Jon

Kyle Cassidy wrote:

| steven fisher's pal james is a metal sculptor who's buying a welding kit
| -- he said he'd be interested in making security bars for me, maybe if
| there were three or four of us willing to have a go at it all at once we
| could convince him that now is the time to start making bars.
|
| we were taking bids on our house and the prices were all over the place
| and all over the place in a very high direction. james' off hand quote
| was the most reasonable, but he's yet to fine tune it.
|
| I do want to get bars on the windows asap -- I'm spending a fortune in
| ammo.

- --
Jon Moore
"The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I'll walk
carefully." (Russian Proverb)