In a message dated 2/23/2007 1:29:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Balancing the
concerns and views of a minority (in the strict sense  of <50% of the
population) against the views of the majority is clearly  difficult, but
I feel this goes too far.

You have some good points.

But, I think that when what's becoming an important element in the  diversity
we supposedly celebrate in this enlightened paragon of a neighborhood  has
strong convictions on something like alcoholic beverages, and a liquor store
is
proposed across from its nerve center, the issue of sensitivity to
fundamental beliefs comes into the picture.

Here's another example. I happen to be neutral on the topic of abortion.  And
I'm not only not a Catholic by heritage, I'm an athiest by practice. Still,
if someone bought Liz Campion's house directly across Farragut Street  from St
Francis de Sales and applied for zoning to open an abortion  clinic (or even
a planned parenthood center) there, and the church people  objected (you can
be sure they would!), I'd be strongly on their side.

As I noted in my first post on this general topic, I believe that part of
the diversity we brag about is a responsibility to respect basic  cultural
mores
of people who are different than we are in ways that don't  impinge on our
own deep convictions (think: MOVE). And, I'm sorry, but denying  the zoning for
a liquor store in the 4200 block of Walnut Street isn't impinging  on the
rights of anybody to get a Blue Pelican Cliquot Fizz or whatever the  hoity
toity
quaff these days at all of our fine BYOB beaneries.

Always at  your service and ready for a dialog ® brand resident and housing
provider,
Al Krigman

http://www.aol.com.